Heroes of Newerth Tutorial Overview
- Basic Hero Controls
- Hero Types
- Items and Shopping
- Gold and Experience
- Laning Phase
Overview gives a good explanation about the objects and the purpose of creeping, foresting and killing the tower.
Basic Hero Controls will go through just that. How to control your Hero.
- Right click the green circle on the ground to move your hero.
- Right click the four hellbourne creeps to kill them. Auto attacking will start after attacking the first creep.
- After completing the above you will be shown how to level up your skills. This is the same concept for all hero types. Keep in mind that some skills are passive and will auto trigger with out any interaction.
- Once you train Phoenix Wave, on Pyromancer, it will instruct you how to cast the spell.
Hero Types will go through the difference between Agility, Intelligence and Strength.
- Agility governs your attack speed and armor. Agility heroes generally focus on dealing damage and direct combat.
- Intelligence governs your mana pool and mana regeneration rate. Intelligence heroes generally focus on casting spells and activated abilities.
- Strength governs your health and health regeneration rate. Strength heroes are generally tougher and focus on close range melee combat.
Items and Shopping reviews the purpose of buying items. Keep in mind that ALL heroes benefit from all three attributes in some way.
- Move to the well of life to start the shopping tutorial. You will notice that your health and mana will start to replenish while in the well
- Right click the shop to open the item purchase window. Item components on the left and item recipes on the right.
- To purchase a recipe you must purchase all of its corresponding components. You can easily do so by selecting the recipe and clicking on the items that load in the slide out window. Keep mind mind that you must have room in your inventory for all items but the last item in order for them to combine. Once you purchase the last item of a recipe the item will auto combine properly for you.
- Next the tutorial will have you proceed to purchasing out of the recommended item shop. This is a good place for you to see what items are recommended for your hero of choice. Keep in mind that this is not set in stone and as you progress through gaming you may find a build that works better for you.
- After you purchase the fortified bracelet the tutorial will move into explaining the "Secret Shops" and "Out Post." Keep in mind not all items can be purchased at your well. Items marked with a safe can be purchased while you are not in your well cannot be equipped until you move back to your well. Items that are stored in your stash can be moved to your main inventory by right clicking the item and moving it. This is a good way to keep from losing gold, if you die from a hero kill. Items greyed out can not be purchased at your current location.
Gold and Experience are earned by killing enemy creeps, heroes buildings and neutral creeps.
- Neutral creeps are non roaming creeps that either side can kill to earn gold and experience."
- The best way to earn gold and experience is by killing the opposing teams heroes. This also has a negative effect on them. They lose time due to the respawn process as well as a percentage of gold they have on their hero. This is why I do recommend purchasing items even if you are not at your well.
- Next the tutorial will explain what we refer to as a "carry" hero in the game. This is a hero that starts out weak and becomes very powerful towards the end game. We will work on compiling a list of "carry" heroes.
- Destorying enemy towers and buildings gives your entire team bonus gold. The hero that lands the last hit on the tower will receive an additional bonus for killing the tower. Also remember you can deny your teams own towers, buildings and creeps to keep the other team from getting the gold. This is done by holding the A key and clicking the building when it is down to 5% remaining health.
Laning Phase is the explanation of staying near the creep battles in the maps different "lanes" to assure you are getting experience when a creep dies. If you get too far away you will not get experience. This tutorial is the best over all as it will give you a great understanding of the general mechanics of the game progression.
- Follow the creeps to the green circle and prepare for battle.
- Avoid taking damage during this phase. The more you run back to heal at your life pool the less experience you will get. As you learn the different heroes you will understand what they can do against you. At low levels never let creeps beat on you as they do quite a bit of damage and can block your path to get away.
- Avoid auto attacking as much as you can. Avoid auto attacking by moving around or hitting the H key to "hold ground." Only concentrate on getting that kill blow or deny blow so you can get experience or keep your enemy from getting the experience. Also this game is alot about position. Watch where you are geographically as some heroes are very good at ambushing from behind.
- Harass the enemy hero that the tutorial spawns. This is a good time to practice denies and getting use to the "jousting" technique used by many in Heroes of Newerth.
- When at attacking an enemy hero with creeps around you will draw the attention of the creeps and they may attack you. This is a nice way to get the enemy creeps closer to your towers and in a easier location to attack.
- Destroy the enemies ranged and melee barracks to increase the power and strength of your teams own creeps. When you are this point it is always recommended to destroy the melee barracks first.
Overall this tutorial was a great addition to the HON game. Many people get very frustrated with not understanding how to do the basic things and flat out quit. One thing to keep in mind, is this tutorial does not teach you the lingo as well as unspoken rules. One unspoken rule to keep in mind is never to Backdoor or BD. This is when you enter and damage the opposing teams buildings with out having any creeps in there. Always make sure you have creeps with you when destroying towers or buildings.
I hope this little run down helps. See you in game!